A log boom is a barrier placed in a river and is designed to collect and contain floating logs. David Allen of Old-Maps in Greenfield has given GHC a plan for the log booms at Riverside's Turners Falls Lumber Co. 1869-1903. Logs marked with a diamond shape were meant for the Riverside company and were collected in the Narrows just just east of Barton Cove. They were held in place by booms - lengths of large logs chained together end-to-end and anchored on either end.
This gift to the Gill Historical Commission is an important addition to our collection.